Children Treatment Network’s (CTN) student volunteers understand that this transition to high school can be a time of excitement and nervousness. Read these important tips created by our volunteers to help other students with disabilities adjust to high school life.
1. Meet with your special education resource teacher (SERT) and school principal. Let your SERT and school principal know about the accommodations and necessary modifications that suit your needs. Work with your team to create a plan for success.
2. Join School Clubs. High school offer lots of fun extra-curricular activities to students. Be sure to find one or more that interests you. This is a good way to meet new friends!
3. Talk to your school councillor. Your guidance councillor is there to support you throughout your high school life, so you don’t have to be afraid to ask for help.
4. Self Advocacy. Students are expected to be more independent and be able to share strategies and ideas that work to accomodate their needs or preferences.
5. Arrange for Transportation – Make arrangements with your SERT if you require school bus transportation or learn to take public transit.
6. Look for Volunteer Opportunities. During your years in high school, you must accumulate 40 volunteer hours in order to graduate (this number may change due to COVID). Research volunteer roles that interest you or will help give you experience in a certain field.
7. Enjoy and Have fun! These four or more years may sound like a long time, but time flies by fast. Make every second of your high school years count!
Thanks to our CTN student volunteers for helping us create these images and sharing their tips for successful high school transition.
King City - Everybody Dance Now! - King City
Everybody Dance Now is a new and exciting inclusive dance program for all exceptionalities and their caregivers.
Early ON & York Region - Learning Together Conference; Experiencing the Joy of Kindergarten (Session 2 of 2) - Richmond Hill
An in person session for children and adults to engage in fun and interactive learning opportunities that will support a successful transition to Kindergarten.
Sign up for our email list to receive information about events, newsletters, resources and more.
Interested in volunteering with CTN?
Do you have questions about your child’s development or services available in York Region or Simcoe County
Share information, tips and resources
with other families