Children Treatment Network’s (CTN) student volunteers understand that this transition to high school can be a time of excitement and nervousness. Read these important tips created by our volunteers to help other students with disabilities adjust to high school life.
1. Meet with your special education resource teacher (SERT) and school principal. Let your SERT and school principal know about the accommodations and necessary modifications that suit your needs. Work with your team to create a plan for success.
2. Join School Clubs. High school offer lots of fun extra-curricular activities to students. Be sure to find one or more that interests you. This is a good way to meet new friends!
3. Talk to your school councillor. Your guidance councillor is there to support you throughout your high school life, so you don’t have to be afraid to ask for help.
4. Self Advocacy. Students are expected to be more independent and be able to share strategies and ideas that work to accomodate their needs or preferences.
5. Arrange for Transportation – Make arrangements with your SERT if you require school bus transportation or learn to take public transit.
6. Look for Volunteer Opportunities. During your years in high school, you must accumulate 40 volunteer hours in order to graduate (this number may change due to COVID). Research volunteer roles that interest you or will help give you experience in a certain field.
7. Enjoy and Have fun! These four or more years may sound like a long time, but time flies by fast. Make every second of your high school years count!
Thanks to our CTN student volunteers for helping us create these images and sharing their tips for successful high school transition.
City of Barrie - Movement Sense - Barrie
The goal is to move! In this sensory aware, adapted environment, kids will get to release all their energy in a variety of different ways such as dance, obstacle courses, drum fit, sport programs, etc.
City of Barrie - Creative Sense - Barrie
Need a creative outlet? Creative sense can be that for your child!
Sign up for our email list to receive information about events, newsletters, resources and more.
Interested in volunteering with CTN?
Do you have questions about your child’s development or services available in York Region or Simcoe County
Share information, tips and resources
with other families