The Explorer Mini (made by Permobil) is a motorized chair that is controlled by a joystick. It offers children aged 12 to 36 months with mobility challenges, a way to move themselves independently and explore the world around them. It was named one of the best inventions of 2021 by Time magazine.
What are the benefits of the Explorer Mini?
1. Family – The lightweight design makes it easy to transport so that it can be used at home and in the community
2. Function – A young child’s ability to explore their environment promotes a wide range of developmental skills (including language, social, motor and sensory skills)
3. Fun – “Now that Sylvia has been in the Explorer Mini for a couple of weeks, we're really seeing a lot of drive for her own independence. She just wants to do stuff on her own now.” Mike Kennedy, Sylvia's Dad
4. Friends – The Mini gives children a chance to play and socialize with their peers more easily
5. Future – The Explorer Mini isn’t just about getting these children mobile now, it’s about laying foundations for life-long social and emotional benefit
Learn more about the benefits of the Explorer Mini here.
Watch Sylvia’s Story
The Permobil Explorer Mini is part of the CTN Equipment Loan Program and can be borrowed by families of children and youth who receive OT/PT services and live in Simcoe County or York Region. Speak to your child’s therapist for more information.
CTN supports children, youth and families by focusing on CanChild's framework of the F-words for Child Development. Every child with varying abilities has the right to have fun, enjoy friends, function as they are, access fitness, plan for their future and join in family activities like hiking and playing at the beach!
CTN - Out and About for Teens: AAC - Simcoe & York
Join us for a social event series for youth ages 12 and up who use AAC in York Region and Simcoe County. This event will provide opportunities to connect with other AAC users and participate in fun activities!
The Centre For Dreams - Youth Achieving Dreams (Thursdays) - Markham
The Centre For Dreams is excited to annoce the implemenation of a brand new skills-based program specifically for your living with development disabilities.
Sign up for our email list to receive information about events, newsletters, resources and more.
Interested in volunteering with CTN?
Do you have questions about your child’s development or services available in York Region or Simcoe County
Share information, tips and resources
with other families