Are you looking for fun and inclusive activities over the March Break for your kids? Throughout the week of March Break CTN has partnered with local municipalities and organizations to offer adapted “Try it” Events across both York and Simcoe.
“Try It” events give children and families the opportunity to test out a new adapted sport or activity to see if they like it. Whether it is just a fun break activity, or a sport your child would like to pursue, “Try it” events are a great opportunity to spark new interest and exposure to new experiences.
Becoming involved in adapted sport can have so many benefits:
- Participation in new experiences with an equalized playing field
- Learning new skills such as throwing/dribbling a basketball, using a sledge or skating
- Opportunities to improve physical abilities and coordination
- Enhancing self-esteem and confidence by mastering skills in an activity
- Increasing independence
- Make new friends with common interests or abilities
- Opportunities to participate in a social team-based sport
- Develop healthy lifelong attitudes towards recreation and fitness
As with all of our CTN Inclusive events, all activities are open to everyone!
The following activities are being offered over the March Break:
- Hand R/C Racing and Virtual Reality (Barrie):
- Radio controlled model cars/trucks, controlled from a distance using a transmitter or remote run on an indoor track provided by Hand Racing R/C Track and Parts Shop from Wasaga Beach. Students from Georgian College assist with fun sensory activities for kids to keep their hands busy! CTN’s Virtual Reality unit will also be available to try.
- Sensory Skate (Barrie):
- An open skate opportunity with low lighting creates a calmer skating environment. Limited skaters on the ice allows more room for individuals to learn skating skills and participate – skate aids, wheelchairs, walkers and CTN provided sledges are allowed on the ice. CSA approved helmets are encouraged.
Wheelchair Basketball (Midland, Alliston, Newmarket):
Wheelchair Basketball is an excellent inclusive sport for all abilities. Adapted sport wheelchairs will be provided with instruction on the various rules of wheelchair basketball, tips to maneuvering your sport wheelchair, practice time and a game. Come out for an opportunity to meet three-time Paralympic medalist Brad Bowden from All Sports All People!
Sledge Hockey (Georgina, Richmond Hill):
Sledge Hockey events provide the opportunity for everyone to try this Paralympic Sport through direction from All Sports All People
. Sledges and sticks will be provided as well as guidance on getting into the sled, using sticks and passing the puck. Opportunity to meet All Sports All People’s four-time Paralympic medalist Brad Bowden and Tyler McGregor, two-time Paralympic Medalist and member of the Canadian Para Hockey Team!
VOLT Hockey provided by Variety Village (Markham, Newmarket):
Variety Village is offering this unique program of accessible hockey, played in a special motorized Hockey Sport Chair for individuals of various abilities. The one hour program will teach the use of the chair and fundamentals of Canada’s favourite pastime. The game is played on an indoor court/gymnasium and only requires the participant to be able to manipulate a joystick. Sport chairs will be provided by Variety Village.
Brickz 4 Kidz (Vaughan):
Using LEGO®BRICKS to engage curiosity and creativity by building models and activities. Brickz 4 Kidz focuses on teaching the fundamentals of S.T.E.M. (science, technology, engineering, math) in a safe, relaxed learning environment. Working with LEGO® can encourage patience, teamwork and cooperation, communication, build on fine and gross motor skills and following directions.
Blue Mountain Skate Loop (Blue Mountain):
Blue Mountains new Woodview Mountaintop Skating offers a 1.1km skate loop at the top of the mountain with incredible views of the Niagra Escarpment and Georgian Bay. Ice skate rentals are available and CTN will be providing sledges. All skill levels are welcome. After you skate, relax with a hot chocolate while enjoying the beauty of Blue Mountain. CTN families will receive a special 50% off entrance and rental fees!
March Madness Inclusive Events (Orillia, Collingwood):
Various activities will be offered at these special events by Georgian College students, including Wheelchair Basketball and arts and crafts (Collingwood), carpet bowling, ministicks and other sensory activities and games (Orillia).
We want to give a big thank you to all of our partners for this week’s events: Collingwood YMCA, Hand Racing R/C Parts and Track Shop, City of Orillia Rotary Place, Georgian College OTA/PTA students, City of Barrie, Midland YMCA, Town of New Tecumseth, Town of Newmarket, Variety Village, City of Markham, Town of Georgina, Town of Richmond Hill, Brickz 4 Kidz, Blue Mountain Resort and All Sports All People.
Check out events across both York and Simcoe.